(207) 861-3000 / (800) 491-8600
Community Health Needs Assessment | Financial Assistance

Inland/Lakewood participate in National Trails Day

Release Date: 06/20/2012

Inland and Lakewood employees accompanying some of Lakewood's residents in wheelchairs participated in the National Trails Day celebration in Waterville on June 2. The local trails activity organized by Kennebec Messalonskee Trails started at the North Street trailhead, where dozens of people travelled to the Head of Falls at the Two Cent Bridge to celebrate the opening of the Waterville Connector Trail. The trail, which is handicapped accessible, continues on the other side of the bridge around Scott Park in Winslow.

Lakewood residents enjoyed the trail and being able to participate in the local event.

Peter Garrett, President of Kennebec Messalonskee Trails, described what a triumph it has been to complete the project, which was eight years in the making. Thanks were given to Waterville Public Works, whose crew managed the construction and signage, and also to the City’s Parks and Recreation Department, which is responsible for the trail upkeep.

According to Garrett, Waterville contributed 20% of the $269,000 cost, the remaining 80% coming from the Federal Highway Fund. Garrett noted that only 1.6% of highway funds go to such alternative transportation projects despite the fact that about 11% of trips are taken by foot or by bicycle nationwide.

Inland is a partner of Kennebec Messalonskee Trails.

Photo: Employees and residents of Lakewood enjoy the National Trails Day event in Waterville on June 2.